Sorry. You need to upgrade your browser

You are using Internet Explorer 8

This is considered an out of date browser. This website has been developed with modern browsers in mind to allow it to display at its best in a wide variety of viewing situations - including mobile viewing. But we haven't supported older browsers like IE8. Please upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer - or try Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Both are excellent browsers.

Thank you.


Parents' Induction Evening

Note to new parents: If your child is arriving in August 2017, there will be parents' induction evening on Wednesday 5 July.  Details to follow.

Rugby Under 15s Narrowly Miss Out on Place in Final

The under 15s boys' rugby team narrowly missed out on a final spot after losing to Leicester Grammar 15-10 in a tightly contested affair.

Leicester Grammar just got the better of the Ashby team, in spite of the home side having the majority of the possession.

As both teams tried to size each other up in the first 10 minutes, the possession changed hands several times. There was a solid defensive effort throughout the first half from Ewan Laws who put in some monstrous hits at centre and stole the ball off the opposition on numerous occasions.

Although Ashby dominated possession, they failed to get over the try line with some handling errors near the line, which led to a quick turnover and Leicester Grammar getting the first score of the game. The first half ended 7 - 0.

The second half featured more of the same: Ashby got a quick score after half time which revitalised the team. They become more aggressive and the lines of attacking running were much improved.

There were a lot of big ball carries from Harry Thompson, Harvey Clinch and Jack Halford sustaining the pressure on Leicester Grammar. A patch of ill-disciplined defence led Ashby to concede a penalty. Grammar went for a penalty kick which showed how hard it was for them to get to the try line.

The kick was converted to make it 10-5. Immediately after this, Grammar scored another to make it 15-5 with 10 minutes to go.

Ashby kept going until the end and got another score with five minutes to go to make it 15-10, Ashby then regained possession but were unable to get over the try line to make the decisive score.

It was a thrilling match watched by many in wonderful conditions and credit to the boys for playing really well.

Report by Ricky Wickwar



17 Mar 2017

« Back to latest news