Students can now apply to join Ashby School in Year 10 in September 2021.
Important Diary Dates for 2021 entry
October 2020: Date for receipt of parents’ requests.
January 2021: Options talks for students at feeder high schools and out-of-catchment students
March 2021: Offers made to parents – decision letters sent out
Please note: Priority for admission will be given to children whose parents have requested a place using the Common Application Form obtained from the Local Authority the child is resident in and must be received by the Local Authority before 31 October.
If the number of applications exceeds the number of places then the following criteria will apply:
1. Children who are in public care.
2. Pupils who live in the catchment area. (This will include children who reside in the Ashby School Boarding house.)
3. Pupils who will have an older brother or sister attending the school at the same time
4. Pupils who have a serious medical condition or exceptional social or domestic needs that make it essential they attend the school requested. (Professional documentation confirming the situation must be submitted with the application.)
5. Pupils who will have attended Ivanhoe College or Ibstock Community College for at least two years before the time of transfer.
6. Pupils living nearest to the school measured in a straight line distance (home to school front gate).
The school will maintain a waiting list for one term in the academic year of admission. (This waiting list is ranked in the same order as the published oversubscription criteria and not by date of application.)
Parents of children not offered a place will be informed of their right to appeal to an independent appeals panel which will be convened by the Local Authority admissions department.
In cases where an appeal is unsuccessful, the admissions authority will not accept a further appeal during the same academic year unless there are significant and/or material changes in circumstances of the child, or the school for which supporting documentary evidence will be required.
The school will observe the principles of the Leicestershire County Council ‘Admissions to Mainstream Schools’ Policy and Procedures.
May/June/July: Appeal hearings
Points of Contact for Parents
Allocations Section – tel. 0116 305 6684;
• SEND Information Advice and Support Service (helps parents to make informed choices about SEN needs) – tel. 0116 305 5614, email firstname.lastname@example.org;
• SEN Service Rhiannon Smith - tel. 0116 305 5832, email email@example.com;
• School Transport Helpline - tel. 0116 305 0002, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Allocation of Places 2020 Requests:
|In Catchment||Out of catchment||Agreed||Refused|
The outcome of the 2020/2021 admissions process is not necessarily an indication of the decisions that will be made in future years. All applications for places must be made through the Local Authority. A final decision on entry to Ashby School will be made by the school’s own Admissions Authority.