Ashby School has a long and proud tradition, dating back more than 400 years.
Previously known as Ashby Grammar School, it was formed from an amalgamation of the Boys' and Girls' Grammar Schools in 1972.
The school's origins can be traced as far back as 1567 when a Boys' School was first founded in Ashby. The school's existing boarding facility, School House, is directly descended from the original boys' school. The Girls’ Grammar School was opened in 1901.
In recent years, school facilities have been extensively modernised and extended to create a contemporary and well-equipped learning environment in which students continue to flourish.
In spite of these necessary changes to the school campus, Ashby School has proudly retained many of its original buildings.
Detailed information about the history of the Boys’ and Girls’ Grammar Schools can be found in Ashby Museum. The history of the school is also recounted in two books:
- ‘A Country Grammar School: A History of Ashby-de-la-Zouch Grammar School 1567 – 1967’ by Levi Fox
- ‘Ashby Grammar School: A Centenary of Girls’ Education 1889 – 1989’ by Kenneth Hillier’.